When enabled, Acknowledgement Emails are generated upon the submission of new or modified data and are sent to an email address from the form itself. They are usually used to notify an app user that their submission or update was successfully received.
Notification Emails are generated upon the submission of new data, or modification or deletion of existing data and are sent to the specified email addresses, usually internal employees who need to be alerted to take action.
In this article, we will show you how to enable and configure acknowledgement emails in a Submission Form. Steps are very similar in other DataPage types and also for notifications emails. The only exception is in Bulk operations as discussed further below.
- Open an app, navigate to the DataPages listing, and edit an existing Submission Form DataPage. Proceed to the Destination and Emails
- Under the Automatic Email Options section, check Acknowledgement email to email address submitted in form. If enabled, you will need to select the field that contains your users’ email addresses.
- The Email Options screen will appear next, where you can configure the email:
- From – enter a valid sender email address. If Parameters are enabled for this DataPage, you can insert an app parameter for email and manage the parameter value in the App Overview area.
- Reply-to – this is the email address for replying to the acknowledgement emails. Advanced Options should be enabled on the DataPage Data Source screen to see this feature.
- Subject – this is the subject line of your email. You can personalize the subject line for the user or situation by inserting fields from the form.
- File Attachment – use this option to attach files to the email.
- Data Source File Fields – if your DataPage includes one or more file fields, those dynamic files can be attached.
- All Assets – select any static file from the files area of your account.
Note: if you have enabled Orphan File Cleanup it may interfere with attachments from All Assets. Orphan File Cleanup is designed to remove any file that is not referenced in a table.
- Email format – select Plain text or HTML format for your email.
- Message body – enter the body of your email message. You can personalize the content by inserting fields from the DataPage.
To insert a field in the Subject or Message body, use the parameter picker to select a field from the first dropdown and select the format from the second dropdown.
To insert an image in the message body, select Image format in the second dropdown. Additionally, the image settings can be customized by double-clicking on the image or right-click and select Image Properties. Note that inserting an image in the message body is available only if HTML email format is selected. The screenshot below is a sample notification email to the company admin when a new business signs up. The logo of the company is inserted into the email message body along with other information.
In the “To” field (recipients) of notification emails, you can insert email fields from your DataPage data source, authentication data source or app parameters.
- Click Finish.
Notification Emails in Bulk Operations
Notification Emails can also be enabled for operations in results pages such as bulk delete. When enabled, the notification email can be customized as discussed above. Notification emails of bulk operations have one additional option, which is Appending the affected records.
When the Append option is enabled, you will be able to specify which fields of the table should be appended to the email by using the Edit button. The affected records can be added to the bottom of the email or attached as a file to the email.