To create, edit, and delete table relationships, click Relationships in the Tables area of your app to go to the Relationships screen. This screen consists of two sections:
- The Tables pane (on the left) lists all the tables available in the app as well as those in the All Assets area.
- The work area (on the right) is where you establish and manage relationships. The following functions are available at the top of the screen:
- New Relationship – Creates a new relationship.
- All Relationships – Displays all relationships across all tables in your account.
- App Relationships – Displays all relationships within the tables of the current app.
- Table Relations – Displays all relationships for the selected table.
- Save Layout – Saves the currently displayed layout of the work area. The next time you open the Relationships screen, the most recently saved layout will be displayed.
You can minimize or close a table by clicking the appropriate icon at the upper-right corner of the table window. Closing a table only hides it and does not remove any of its relationships. To display a hidden table, select its checkbox in the Tables pane or click All Relationships.
Create a Relationship
Complete the following steps to create a relationship:
- Add tables to the work area by selecting their checkboxes in the Tables pane or by dragging them to the work area.
- Complete one of the following actions to open the New Relationship Settings dialog box:
- On the work area, drag a field from one table and drop it on a field in another table.
- Double-click a field that does not currently have a relationship.
- Click New Relationship at the top of the screen.
Note: You can only create relationships between fields that have compatible data types.
- In the New Relationship Settings dialog box:
- If you dragged and dropped a field, the Parent Table, Parent Field, Related Table, and Related Field dropdowns are automatically populated.
- If you double-clicked a field, the Parent Table and Parent Field dropdowns are automatically populated. You can then specify the related field using the Related Table and Related Field dropdowns.
- If you clicked New Relationship, you must configure both the parent field and related field dropdowns.
Tip: More configuration options are available in the New Relationship Settings dialog box—such as Display Value, join type, and referential integrity. To learn more about these features, see Relationship Settings.
- Click Create to establish the relationship. The relationship is represented in the work area by a line connecting the related fields.
Edit a Relationship
To edit a relationship, double-click a relationship line, or one of the fields in the relationship to open the Edit Relationship Settings dialog box. You can then change the parent or related fields as well as configure advance options.
After making the necessary modifications, click Save to apply your changes.
Delete a Relationship
To delete a relationship, open a relationship for editing as described in the previous section, then click Delete Relation at the bottom of the dialog box. A message box appears to confirm the deletion.