Importing your existing data into Caspio Bridge is accomplished through the Import wizard. This is often one of the first steps when creating a Caspio Bridge app. Importing data is a very easy process and is outlined below.
Caspio Bridge lets you import data to your account in several formats:
- Microsoft Access files (.mdb and .accdb)
- Microsoft Excel files
- CSV (Comma Separated Values)
- Tab Delimited text
- Fixed Width text
- Caspio Bridge XML
- Custom XML
Prepare Your Data
To import your data efficiently, check to see if the first row in the file contains column headers. For Microsoft file types, Caspio Bridge will automatically understand the first row to be column headers and to contain field names. For data in CSV and TEXT file types, you can indicate if the first row contains column headers or not.
If your files are very large, you can compress any file type into a .ZIP formatted archive and then upload that archive directly. This can greatly speed up the import process. The maximum file size for a single upload is 150MB.
- To open the Import Table wizard, select Tools from the main menu bar and click Import.
- The pop-up window may vary in display for different browsers. Click the Browse button to find and select the file you wish to import. Your file will then be in the process of being uploaded to your account. For larger files, the upload may take some time. While the file is being uploaded, avoid closing the browser window because this will cancel the upload process.
- Once the file is uploaded successfully, a confirmation message will display. Click Next. You will be directed to the Import wizard if you decide to import the file now.
What app do you want to import objects to? Here, you choose the app into which you want the data to be imported.
- In the Configure Objects section, you will see a list of table(s) found in your file. Data can be imported as a new table, or you can append or replace an existing table in your Caspio Bridge account.
The following Action options are available depending on the object type:
- Use Exiting. Ignore the imported object and leaves the existing object unchanged.
- Create New. Leave the existing object unchanged and create a new object.
- Replace. Overwrite an existing Object. Note that replacing an object will impact all associated Apps. When replacing Tables, any existing data will be deleted before the new data is added and any fields that don’t exist in the current table structure will be added.
- Append. Add data to an existing Table. Any fields that don’t exist in the current table structure will be added.
- Update Design. Merge table structures without importing new data. Any fields that don’t exist in the current table structure will be added.
Note regarding Unique fields:
- For Append and Replace, any existing fields set to Unique must also be Unique in the imported data.
- For Update Design, the imported object cannot contain Unique fields unless your destination Table is empty.
- Create New Folder – Create a new folder to place the unzipped files.
- Rename Duplicate Files – Place the files in the selected folder and duplicate files are renamed
- Replace Duplicate Files – Place the files in the selected folder and any duplicate files are replaced.
- Skip Duplicate Files – Place the files in the selected folder and duplicate files are skipped.
Configure Your Fields
Next, on the Configure Fields screen, you format your field properties. Caspio Bridge will format your field properties automatically by analyzing your data file. Your changes to Field names are highlighted in blue for easy reference.
Note that choosing a Data Type that is incompatible with your field may cause data loss. Read the article on Compatible Data Types for details.
As Caspio Bridge imports and formats your data you can click Close to continue working. The import will continue in the background. Once the import is finished, the details of the import will be listed, including all of the table objects that were successfully imported in the Messages area.