September 10, 2015
New Unique ID Data Types
We have added three new data types to manage system-generated unique IDs at the table-level.
In Table Design, you can now create fields with the following data types, or convert your existing fields to them (as long as your data is compatible):
- GUID – Globally Unique Identifier, typically used for non-consecutive IDs in a string of 32 characters.
- Prefixed Autonumber – Consecutive Autonumber with the ability to add a prefix, typically used to designate custom ID formats or categories of data (such as an invoice or product type).
- Random ID – Unique random identifier with the ability to add a prefix and define the length and composition of characters, digits, or both.
The ID values will be automatically system-generated based on your settings whenever new records are added to the table (through Table Datasheet, Data Import, Scheduled Import, or Form DataPages).
Prior to this release, you could enable GUID and Random IDs in the DataPage wizard using the “AutoValue” form element on hidden fields. Now in this release, you can set these values in Table Design, plus create custom prefixes using the Prefixed Autonumber and Random ID data types.
Learn more about Caspio Data Types.
Enhanced Grouping and Aggregation
The grouping and aggregation options in Caspio Reports have been enhanced to improve the scope, usability, and layout.
The following capabilities were added to Tabular Reports:
- Aggregations can now be applied to all group levels, in addition to the first group only.
- Grouped aggregations are now displayed in the grouping row, instead of their own row (extra aggregation rows are now removed, making the reports more compact).
- Grouping and aggregation rows now have separate options to choose the position (above data, below data, both) and display on every page.
- As shown above, a new Caspio Style called “Structure” offers a clean grid layout similar to a spreadsheet. This Style is optimized for data-heavy reports with grouping and aggregation. Download and import it into your account.
- All existing Caspio Styles have been updated to optimize their design for the new grouping and aggregation options. To take advantage of these new enhancements, we recommend you download the entire 8.8 Style Package (which includes the new “Structure” Style) and import them into your account.
Now it’s even easier to deploy Caspio DataPages in WordPress websites using the new WordPress option on the Deploy dialog.
Prior to this release, WordPress deployment shortcodes had to be manually constructed. Now in this release, simply click on the WordPress icon on the Deploy dialog and copy the new-and-improved WordPress shortcodes for Embed, iFrame, and SEO deployment methods (each on their own tab).
Just as before, WordPress shortcodes only work when the Caspio WordPress Plugin is installed and activated on your site. A direct link to the latest version of the plugin is also available on the Deploy dialog.
Learn more about Deploying to WordPress.
- In Tabular Report DataPages, the Action column (View, Edit, Delete) used to display always on the right, but now they can also be positioned as the first column to the left of your data.
- Export to Microsoft Excel now uses .xlsx format and file extension (instead of .xls). This applies to Data Export and Scheduled Tasks.
- During Data Import and Scheduled Tasks, duplicate Autonumbers will no longer append to the table using a new Autonumber. Starting in this release, any records with duplicate Autonumbers will be ignored and not imported in order to respect the integrity of the new data.
- To improve the security of the platform, several security restrictions were applied. Impacted areas include:
- DataPages cannot be viewed using IE8 on Windows XP (see the System Requirement Changes below). IE8 on Windows XP is no longer supported by Microsoft and lacks important security features.
- When rendering fields as HTML on DataPages, scripts inserted into fields are not executed.
- Manipulations to Caspio’s system URL parameters are not rendered.
- During file uploads, files with incorrect mime types are not uploaded (for example, an HTML file with JPG extension).
- In Authentication, there is a new option to set the automatic timeout to 8 hours.
- App and System Parameters are now available in Authentications and the search form URL in the DataPage Wizard.
Select Bug Fixes
- In Scheduled Tasks, CSV files without column names now import without errors.
- In Table Datasheet, the performance of large tables is improved when viewing or deleting records.
- In deployed DataPages, the performance of the Rich Text Editor is improved.
- In Tabular Reports, hyperlinks are now preserved when editing records using Inline Edit.
- In Forms and Details pages, Rules are now functioning correctly when File fields are set to be required based on the value of another field.
- In Forms, Search, and Details pages, Cascading AutoComplete fields now preserve user-entered values after the form returns with validation errors.
System Requirement Changes
IE8 on Windows XP No Longer Supported for Encrypted DataPages
SSL is being replaced by newer and more secure encryption technologies, and unfortunately Internet Explorer 8 on Windows XP does not support these new encryption standards. As a result, encrypted DataPages (deployed with HTTPS) will no longer work on IE8 on Windows XP.
Note that DataPages deployed in HTTP will continue to work on IE8 on newer versions of Windows and on other newer browsers on Windows XP, however, in general IE8 has reached its end of life and is no longer supported by Microsoft. We highly recommend that you advise your users not to use IE8.
Have a Feature Request?
Submit your ideas and feedback regarding product features in the Caspio Ideabox.