Views are virtual tables. They are used for the following reasons:
- To apply a permanent filter on a single table and/or restrict to a sub set of fields.
- To combine related data from multiple tables and optionally apply filters.
- Views can be used to filter a very large table, making the structure and record count more manageable.
- Views are often used in Authentications to create role based functionality in your app. For example while your Employee table could contain all employees, different views can be created to limit employees per department and an Authentication based on such view limits access to members of that department.
- Views can be used to join multiple tables. Joining more than one table makes the record information from all of the tables accessible in each record. This is useful when creating relationships.