If you want the advantages of a web database, but have a few forms that you cannot upgrade to DataPages, you can change these older forms to submit data directly to Caspio Bridge. This way all of your data is submitted to a central location for easy access. You will adapt your form to pass the data to an intermediary DataPage that will submit the data to the database. From the intermediary DataPage you have all of the options that Caspio Bridge provides for destinations and triggers including notification emails. You can use this technique whether your original form uses the GET or POST method.
Steps to make existing HTML forms submit data to Caspio Bridge
1. Create a Submission Form
- Click New DataPage to open the DataPage wizard.
- On the DataPage Type screen, choose Submission Form. Click Next.
- On the DataPage DataSource screen, choose the base table where you want to store the data submitted from your original form. Because you are receiving this data through parameters, enable advanced options and parameters. Click Next.
- Select the fields you wish to receive by moving them from the left to the right-hand panel using the arrow button. Click Next.
- By default, after your end-user clicks submit on the original form, the completed Web Form will display to your end-user and prompt them to click Submit again. In some instances this is a good option because you can format the DataPage to serve as a confirmation page.
<script > setTimeout('document.getElementById("caspioform").submit()',0); </script >
- Click Next.
2. Redirect your end-user
On the Destinations and Triggers screen you can decide where you would like your end-user to be directed after their information has been submitted. You can also activate notification and acknowledgement emails. Click Finish to save your Submission Form.
3. Deploy the Submission Form
Now that the Submission Form is complete, click Deploy. Choose the URL method for deployment, choose your security setting and copy the deploy code URL. You will need this address to alter your original form. Click Close.
4. Change the form action to the Caspio web address
Go to the HTML page of your original form. Locate the Form tag. Inside the Form tag there is a parameter called action. This parameter chooses the destination after the end-user clicks Submit. Take the Caspio deployed URL code and insert the portion before the first question mark into this parameter. Now the form will pass the data to your Web Form.
5. Add the AppKey to the original form items
The portion of the deploy code URL after the question mark also needs to be passed using the original form. We accomplish this by adding a hidden element to the form. Create an input tag. This tag will have three parameters: type=”Hidden”, name=”AppKey” and value=”The AppKey from your Caspio URL”.
Caspio Bridge makes it easy to create a wide variety of DataPages to easily collect, search, and view data. If you would like to create Caspio Bridge apps, but there are some HTML forms you must preserve, it is possible to tie these forms into your Caspio Bridge database and gain the advantages of a Caspio Bridge web database.