This article includes a generator that will help you create link menus. Link menus can be helpful while perfecting the functionality of your application or if you plan to use primarily the URL deployment method. The generator can also make popup window links which can be tedious to write by hand.
Go to The Generator.
Create a Link
To create a link, enter the Destination URL and the Link Text.
The Destination URL can be either the URL obtained from deploying a DataPage using the URL deployment method, or it can be the host webpage URL.
The Link Text is the text that is visible to your end user.
Finally select the Link Type:
- Direct – this creates a direct link that will direct the current browser window to the destination URL.
- New Window / Tab – this will open the destination URL in a new window or tab depending on the users browser settings
- Pop-up – This will create a new pop-up window containing the destination URL. You can customize the pop-up width and height in Advanced Features.
In addition to basic links you can also pass data using parameters. Entering data into the Parameter 1 and Parameter 2 fields will automatically generate query strings at the end of the destination URL.
Typically the parameter value section is replaced with a dynamic variable within the DataPage using the parameter insert buttons located with HTML blocks. This is why the default values are ‘AAAAA’ and ‘BBBBB’ so that these strings can be quickly located and replaced.
Make it a Menu
Every time you add a new link, the link will be appended to the end of the menu. Once links are created the order cannot be changed using the generator. If you make a mistake you press the clear button and start over, or attempt to correct the HTML yourself.
Take it to your DataPage
You can test the links in your menu directly in the “Menu Tester” panel. The “HTML Code – Copy & Paste” panel gives you the HTML code of the menu.
Copy and paste this menu code directly into your DataPage. Some common locations for link menus are:
- DataPage Headers and Footers
- At the end of each List Report record
- In the Destinations and Triggers screen
- In an HTML Page used as a main portal