Caspio Report DataPages are powerful application components that provide far more functionality than their name implies. Aside from displaying information in a highly customizable way, and rich editing capabilities, they provide many interactive options that you can choose to enable for your app users.
The following are some interactive options in reports:
- Data sorting via column headers or sort dropdown
- Link back to the search form
- Paging based on fixed or user selectable records per page
- Jump to page
- Next/Previous record navigation
- Downloadable search results
Interactive sorting is available in all report DataPages. In tabular layout you have two ways to let users sort the displayed data:
- By clicking the column title – Toggles between ascending and descending sorting based on the data of the column.
- By a dropdown list – Predefined choice of sorting presented in a dropdown on top of the search results.
In all list and gallery reports only the dropdown sorting option is available. Sorting is enabled and configured on the Results Page Options step of the DataPage wizard.
Below is an example of “sort by dropdown list”:
The image below shows how dropdown sorting is enabled and configured in the report DataPage wizard.
Link to Search Form
You can allow users to navigate back to the Search form from the Results or Details page in order to perform a new search. The “Search Again” link is usually displayed at the top left of the DataPage. You can customize the icon in Styles or the text link in Localizations.
Advanced users who separate the search form from the result can also use this option but they will need to provide the link to where the search form is deployed.
Paging in Results Page
As the app author you can specify the number of records that should be displayed per page or let the app user choose from a few options such as 10, 25, 50, 100 or 250 records per page.
Jump to Page
When this option is enabled app users can jump to any page of the search results by entering the page number in the field that is a part of the paging navigation.
Next/Previous Record Navigation
Enabling this option allows the app user to navigate to next or previous records directly from the details page. This can save them time by not having to return to the search results page before drilling down into another record.
When enabled, the AJAX option allows many interactivity features of your DataPage to be performed without reloading the page. For example, paging or sorting is performed without refreshing the page, giving your app a more professional user experience.
These features are available in the Advanced tab.
Downloadable Search Results
In the Download Options section, you can let application users to download search results directly from the results page. Consider data security implications before enabling this option. If enabled, you can configure the following:
- File format – choose the file format of the download data, which can be Excel or CSV. Check Zipped to compress the data in ZIP format for faster download.
- Default file name – customize the name of the downloaded file. Check Add date to append the file name with the date the search was performed to the file name.
- Number of records – customize the number of records users can download. Enter a value in the space to limit the number of records that can be downloaded, or check All matching to let users download all matching records. Checking Entire data source allows users to download all records from the base table or view, whether they match the search criteria or not.
- Use fields from –you can choose to use fields from the results or details page for download. The Details Page option will become available only if the details page is enabled.
- Data Formatting – you can choose to either follow the DataPage Localization or download raw data without any formatting.